BIG3 RETURNS TO WHERE IT ALL BEGAN IN BROOKLYN
– League Brings Three Memorable Contests to Barclays Center,
Site of Inaugural Games –
– Joe Johnson and Triplets Continue Unbeaten Season with Fourth Win –
– Kenyon Martin and Trilogy Hand Charles Oakley and Killer 3s First Loss
in Thrilling Fashion –
Images licensed by Getty Images and BIG3
If you do not have a subscription with Getty Images, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission.
Brooklyn, N.Y. – July 14, 2019
- The BIG3 returned to Barclays Center Sunday afternoon, the site of the league’s first-ever games in the 2017 season.
- Joe Johnson helped the surging Triplets score the expansion team’s fourth consecutive win, while Coach Kenyon Martin led the Trilogy past Coach Charles Oakley and the previously unbeaten 3 Headed Monsters.
- Hip Hop legends LL Cool J, Fat Joe, and Jadakiss made their way to the sidelines to catch the trio of exciting matchups. Artist Jim Jones entertained during a special halftime performance.
- The BIG3 continues Season 3 next week in Kansas City (Saturday, 3:00PM ET at the Sprint Center) and Oklahoma City (Sunday, 1:00PM ET at Chesapeake Energy Arena). Games are available on CBS and CBSSports.com.
- Today’s attendance was 13,107. Yesterday’s attendance in Providence, R.I. was 8,112.
Getty Images: Week 4 in Brooklyn
Triplets 50 (4-0) vs Tri State 37 (1-3)
Video Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJs_vTJgqN4
The day’s first matchup did not disappoint as league-leading scorer, and former Brooklyn Net, Joe Johnson tallied 17 points and a game-winning 4-point shot to lead the Triplets to victory.
Tri State rode out a “two-man game” for the majority of the contest, as Amar’e Stoudemire and Jason Richardson accounted for Tri State’s first 28 points. The duo finished with 13 and 20 points, respectively. However, strong performances from Jannero Pargo (9 pts, three first half 3 pointers) and Al Jefferson (14 pts, 10 reb) put the Triplets over the top.
The Triplets and Iso Joe will look to continue their undefeated campaign next week in Kansas City.
Jason Richardson 20 pts, 2 reb
Amar’e Stoudemire 13 pts, 6 reb
Joe Johnson 17 pts, 7 reb
Al Jefferson 14 pts, 10 reb
Triplets hit (4-0); Tri-State falls to (1-3)
Bivouac 50 (2-2) vs 3 Headed Monsters 43 (2-2)
Video Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AXdUaFmizU
Sunday afternoon’s second game featured a strong showing from former Brooklyn Net Reggie Evans. However, the big man’s 21 points and 13 rebounds weren’t enough to prevent the 3 Headed Monsters from losing back-to-back for the first time in team history.
Expansion team Bivouac evened out the season Sunday, thanks in big part to 13 points and a game-icing 3-point-shot from the shifty Will Bynum. Bynum’s handles, contributions from CJ Leslie (12 pts, 7 reb), and strong team defense helped curb the 3 Headed Monsters’ comeback attempt.
Bivouac will look to keep the ball rolling next week in Kansas City against 3’s Company.
Will Bynum 13 pts, 1 reb
C.J. Leslie 12 pts, 8 reb
3 Headed Monsters
Reggie Evans 21 pts, 13 reb
Mario Chalmers 13 pts, 4 reb
Bivouac improves to (2-2); 3 Headed Monsters fall to (2-2)
Trilogy 50 (2-2) vs Killer 3s 48 (3-1)
Video Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBIQF2bcUD4
Brooklyn’s final matchup repeatedly brought the Barclays Center to its feet. The final moments featured some exciting back-and-forth play. Ultimately, a 2-point free throw from the game’s leading scorer David Hawkins (21 pts) gave Trilogy the team’s second win. Hawkins scored 9 straight points for Trilogy toward the end of play.
The Killer 3s, coached by the “King of New York” Charles Oakley, were down for most of the contest, but momentum-swinging buckets from Franklin Session and Donte Greene provided a second half lead. The complementary play of Trilogy players Sam Young (13 pts) and James “Flight” White (10 pts, 9 reb) proved to be too much for the Killer 3’s to handle.
Trilogy will aim to get their third win in Oklahoma City next Sunday against Gilbert Arenas and the Enemies.
Donte Greene 18 pts, 3 reb
Stephen Jackson 12 pts, 1 reb
David Hawkins 21 pts, 1 reb
Sam Young 13 pts, 1 reb
Trilogy impresses and improves to (2-2); Killer 3s drop to (3-1)