BIG3 ROCKS KANSAS CITY FOR THE FIRST TIME
– Former Jayhawks Drew Gooden, Julian Wright and Mario Chalmers Help Bring 3-on-3 Game to Sprint Center –
– Nancy Lieberman and Power Top Lisa Leslie and Previously Unbeaten Triplets in Matchup of League’s Elite –
– Dr. J’s Tri State Re-enters Playoff Hunt After Thrilling Win –
Images licensed by Getty Images and BIG3
If you do not have a subscription with Getty Images, email email@example.com to request permission
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – July 20, 2019 – Sprint Center
- The BIG3 visited Kansas City for the first time in league history Saturday, entertaining crowds with intense games and inspiring individual performances.
- 2018 BIG3 Champion Power saw key contributions from Captain Corey Magette (20 pts), Cuttino Mobley (11 pts, 4 reb), and Julian Wright (11 pts) to take down the previously undefeated Triplets.
- 3’s Company’s Andre Emmett and Drew Gooden combine for 31 points and 14 rebounds to lead the team to its second win of the season.
- Amar’e Stoudemire (19 pts, 9 reb) leads Tri State to a much-needed win in a chippy contest against the 3 Headed Monsters.
- KU Basketball Head Coach Bill Self attended Saturday’s lineup of games, where several former Jayhawks showed out.
- The BIG3 season continues Sunday in Oklahoma City. Games begin at 12:00PM CT at Chesapeake Energy Arena and are available on CBS and CBSSports.com.
Getty Images: Week 5 in Kansas City
3’s Company 50 (2-3) vs Bivouac 34 (2-3)
Video Highlights: https://youtu.be/pigSbXy5mlk
Andre Emmett dominated the first half of Saturday’s first game as 3’s Company started things on an 8-0 run. Coach Michael Cooper’s squad led at the break 26-13.
Emmett, who has quietly had an impressive season, finished the game with 23 points and nine rebounds. Fan favorite Drew Gooden, a former Kansas Jayhawk, helped in the effort with eight points, five rebounds and four assists on the day.
Fighting back, Anthony Morrow led the charge for Bivouac, amassing 15 points, four rebounds and landing the game’s only 4-point shot, midway through the second half.
In the end, 3’s Company sealed its second win of the season on a corner 3-point-shot from Dahntay Jones.
3’s Company Bivouac
Andre Emmett 23 pts, 9 reb Anthony Morrow 15 pts, 4 reb
Drew Gooden 8 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast Josh Smith 9 pts, 7 reb
3’s Company improves (2-3); Bivouac hits a snag (2-3)
Triplets 47 (4-1) vs Power 50 (4-1)
Video Highlights: https://youtu.be/qSOwplOBkIY
Triplets, the BIG3’s final undefeated team entering Week 5, squared off against reigning champion Power in the weekend’s most anticipated matchup.
After missing the opening three games due to injury, 2018 MVP Corey Maggette returned to BIG3 action in Week 4 with a scorching 23 points. He picked up exactly where he left off Saturday, tallying the Power’s first 10 points. Looking to shake a slow start, Al Jefferson sank two quick buckets to get the Triplets on the board. But, Cuttino Mobley and Glen “Big Baby” Davis powered the defending champions to a 25-19 halftime lead.
The Triplets, which have found success diminishing first half deficits all season, erased Power’s lead just minutes into the second period. Jefferson and scoring leader Joe Johnson quickly tallied several buckets to square the game at 25. Julian Wright helped provide Power with a much-needed spark off the bench, contributing 11 points in a reserve role.
In the closing moments of the game, Johnson split a double team to find Alan Anderson for an open corner three and cut Power’s lead to 46-45.
Moments later, Maggette pulled up from the top of the key to knock in a jumper and knock off the Triplets.
Joe Johnson 19 pts, 7 reb, 3 astCorey Maggette 20 pts
Al Jefferson 14 pts, 4reb Cuttino Mobley 11 pts, 4 reb, 3 ast
Julian Wright 11 pts, 4 reb
Triplets suffer their first loss (4-1); Power still surging at (4-1)
Tri State 50 (2-3) vs 3 Headed Monsters 47 (2-3)
Video Highlights: https://youtu.be/_QPOiAoY6yM
Tri State and 3 Headed Monsters enjoyed success in their first two BIG3 seasons, but have been inconsistent in 2019. Both teams entered the day needing a win to stay in playoff contention.
Amar’e Stoudemire (Tri State) showed exactly why he’s been garnering interest from NBA teams. The veteran scored at will against the 3 Headed Monsters, including a 7-0 run to close out the first half.
In what was a physical game from start to finish, 3 Headed Monsters Coach Gary Payton was vocal early and often. Reggie Evans refused to be outplayed down low, putting in 14 points and pulling down 16 rebounds.
Tied at 39 deep in the game, both teams ramped up the intensity. Evans and Stoudemire had to be separated a few times down the stretch. In the end, Tri State’s new addition Robert Hite played the hero, hitting a 3-pointer to secure the victory.
Tri State 3 Headed Monsters
Amar’e Stoudemire 19 pts, 9 reb Reggie Evans 14 pts, 16 reb
Robert Hite 12 pts Rashard Lewis 11 pts, 6 reb
Tri State gain traction at (2-3); 3 Headed Monsters fall to (2-3)